Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Online assesment 3: Analysing poems

The Son is in Secondary School by Affran Sa’at
My badge has a Latin motto
Hope for the future
The future is hope
Or something

At times black crows try to interrupt
When we sing the National Anthem

It is difficult to maintain
The whiteness of my shoes
Especially on Wednesdays

I must admit there is something quite special
About the bare thighs of hardworking scouts

The Malay chauffeurs
Who wait for my schoolmates
Sit on the car park kerb
Telling jokes to one another

Seven to the power of five is unreasonable

On Chinese New Year
Mrs Lee dressed up
In a sarong kebaya
And sang Bengawan Solo

The capital of Singapore is Singapore

My best friend did a heroic thing once
Shaded all A’s
For his Chinese Language
Multiple-choice paper

In our annual yearbook
There is a photograph of me

Pushing a wheelchair and smiling
They caught me
At the exact moment

When my eyes were actually closed

This poem has been organised into a mixture of single lines, couplets, triplets, quatrains and is a free verse poem without any rhythm or rhymes. No alliteration and imagery has been used. Exaggeration has been used in the form of the whiteness of the author's shoes, making his shoes seem like they are very white and clean. Personification too has been used when the author wrote that crows tried to interrupt them when they were singing the national anthem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home